Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fall Themed Carrot Cake


Can't wait to taste it...carrot cake made 100% from scratch to bring to the Greenblatts' football season kickoff party.

Recipe: Ruth Glass' Carrot Cake (Rane gave me this recipe a few years ago, Ruth Glass is the wife of owner of the Royals), with homemade cream cheese frosting and decorated with mellowcreme pumpkins. (Not decorated very well, granted, but decorated nonetheless).

I tweaked the recipe a bit:
  • reduced oil from 1-1/2 c. to just under 1 c. (1-1/2 c. of oil is A LOT, and it made it kind of greasy the first time I made this recipe)
  • added 1 t. nutmeg
  • reduced nuts from 1 c. to 3/4 c. (because not everybody likes a lot of nuts. And yes, I'm giggling at that line.)
  • used 1 t. each of baking powder and soda instead of 2 t. soda.
What I learned: the longer you screw around with frosting, the worse it starts to look. LOL.

2 comments:

  1. i heart this cake ... it looks so delish ... and vintage! i applaud your salute to the royals. they need it.

    good times : erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so pretty! The photo looks so good that I had to look twice to see if it was a download from another site. Nice job - thanks for making me crave carrot cake, since I'm not about to make one anyday soon...

    Rane

    ReplyDelete