Thursday, September 10, 2009

Adventures in Pork


Disclaimer: Yes, I know that this picture looks disgusting. I forgot to take one before dinner. It didn't look this bad in person, I swear. Also, my husband chuckles every time he sees the title "Adventures in Pork." And I have to admit, I do too...what can I say, our minds are in the gutter.

Anyway...tried a new recipe tonight: "One-Pan Roasted Pork Supper" from KF&F (Winter 2008); it was decent but I wasn't overly impressed. I was excited since 1)it was an easy casserole type meal that has sweet potatoes (!) in it and 2) I could just pop it in the oven and forget about it. I used 3 pork chops (they were pretty thick so I cut them into 2 cutlets each). Since the pork chops were cut thinner and I cut the sweet potatoes fairly small, I baked it about 40 minutes instead of the 45-60 called for in the recipe. The sweet potatoes/onions were tossed in Catalina dressing, which was a bit sweet for me, next time I might try a vinaigrette or maybe just BBQ sauce or something. I had a box of cornbread stuffing mix which was ok, but extremely salty, so I will make my own stuffing mixture next time. A BBQ sauce/cornbread stuffing/chicken breast version of this recipe sounds tasty.

1 comment:

  1. That is one scary-looking adventure in pork! But I am ALWAYS a fan of pork chops and sweet potatoes.
    I would maybe coat potatoes with honey or maple syrup - maybe cut with vinegar or lemon juice? looking forward to the outcome of chicken version.

    ReplyDelete