Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cookbooks



So I finally saw "Julie and Julia" on Tuesday (thanks Jenny, it was fun!)...I thought it was a very cute movie and I liked learning about Julia's cookbook. In the spirit of cookbook love, I thought I would share my 2 go-to cookbooks and my full collection (ever-growing!). My mom gave me both the "Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook" and the "Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook". They are both antiques (BH&G is a 1968 edition, BC is 1950!), tried and true, and are my trusted guides whenever I have questions or want to find a base recipe to start from when making adjustments to a dish. Love.

Side note: My mom wrote a note in the BH&G when she came to stay for a week last year after Aisling was born and I just found it a couple months ago. It is next to the recipe for "Everyday Waffles" (a family favorite!) and says "I love you, Riss. -Mom" Simple, but profound. I was immediately transported back to those crazy, surreal newborn days and bawled like a baby thinking of how much she helped us and how loving she is, not to mention all the fantastic food she made for us. Dammit, I'm getting all misty again just writing about it. She is amazing. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'M misty eyed after reading that! Love your blog and I'm thinking of starting one of my own...you know, how to be the world's best mom and stuff like that (first post is probably going to be about picking out the best scotch or whisky :-) Keep the recipes coming!!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I love you and you are hilarious. That is all :)

    ReplyDelete