Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Frankenlasagna

Well, in a last-ditch attempt to use up what's left in my fridge and pantry before we move, I thought lasagna would be a good way to use up a lot of supplies.  The problem:  I had no lasagna noodles and none of the usually-approved meats for a lasagna.  Soo...what I did have was a big ol' bag full of bowtie pasta, and a package of pepperoni in the fridge just begging to be used up.  Add in half a container of cottage cheese and a half a bag of frozen spinach that also needed used or else would end up in the trash when we move, along with some other random veggies, tomato sauce, spices, and cheese...voila!  A mishmash of lasagna-like ingredients will surely result in an edible, almost-lasagna dish, right? 


Actually it was not only edible, but pretty tasty.  I forgot how salty pepperoni is which makes this Frankenlasagna not my favorite thing ever (though the asiago bread Anthony brought home was yummy with it), but my husband and daughter both scarfed it down.  Yesss....I love using up a bunch of stuff that is on the verge of being wasted.  Speaking of being on the verge of being wasted, the 1/2-bottle of pinot grigio I drank with the meal definitely made it better :)

1 comment:

  1. It was excellent, although that's not the reason for this comment. I just cannot help but laugh that the asiago cheese bread looks like it's trying to escape the plate in your picture.

    ReplyDelete